March 31, 2015 — OTTAWA, ON — Competition Bureau
Scammers are becoming increasingly sophisticated by using social media to learn more about people and tailoring scams to appeal to individual wants and needs. It is this sophistication that the Competition Bureau has highlighted for the last month.
No matter your age, income, or education level, it is important to beware of anything that seems too good to be true. Research important purchases and always question those seeking your personal information.
While Fraud Prevention Month may be over, the Bureau would like to remind you that a wealth of tips and information for consumers and businesses is available year-round on the Bureau’s various information channels and platforms:
- Visit the fraud prevention portal for tips on how to avoid fraud.
- Consult the Little Black Book of Scams to learn how various kinds of scams work.
- Watch and share our entertaining and informative anti-fraud videos on YouTube.
- Learn more about how businesses can avoid being caught up in bid-rigging.
- Follow the Bureau on Twitter to keep up-to-date on news for consumers and businesses.
- Consult the Fraud Prevention Forum partner’s websites for even more information on fraud prevention.
- And always report instances of fraud to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre or the Competition Bureau.
"Every year, the month of March is dedicated to arming Canadians with the information that they need to thwart ruthless scammers who are trying to take their hard earned money. Together with over 125 private and public sector organizations, we will continue to spread the word on emerging scams and new fraud tactics, and provide consumers and businesses with the tools needed to help make the Canadian marketplace undesirable for fraud in any form."
For media enquiries, please contact:
For general enquiries, please contact:
Toll free: 1‑800‑348‑5358
TTY (hearing impaired): 1‑866‑694‑8389
The Competition Bureau, as an independent law enforcement agency, ensures that Canadian businesses and consumers prosper in a competitive and innovative marketplace.