Visible, identifiable, easily counted products: Worksheet
- Product identity declaration
- Net quantity declaration
- Dealer name and place of business
- Principal display panel
- Misleading package design and fill
- Misleading claims
Principal display panel
- The principal display panel of a label must be located on that part of the container normally displayed to the user.
The label must contain three basic mandatory statements which must, where applicable, appear in a prescribed manner:
- Product Identity Declaration.
- Net Quantity Declaration.
- Dealer Name and Principal Place Of Business.
The product identity and net quantity declaration must appear on the principal display panel.
The following sections will discuss these mandatory statements in detail.
What to put on a label
Product identity declaration (common name)
- The Product Identity Declaration is not be required if:
- The product is usually sold by count and is packaged in such a way that it is visible and identifiable; or
- The product is usually sold by count and bears an accurate pictorial representation of the package contents.
- The label may show the common name of the product in terms of its generic name or function.
Net quantity declaration
- The Net Quantity Declaration is not required if:
- The quantity is usually measured by count, the count is one, and the product identity declaration is given in the singular form.
- The product is usually sold by count and is packaged so that the contents are visible and identifiable, and there are fewer than seven articles, or there are fewer than 13 articles which can be easily counted.
Dealer name and place of business (dealer identification)
The "dealer" is the person who is a retailer, manufacturer, processor, or producer of a product, or a person who is engaged in the business of importing, packing, or selling any product. In identifying the dealer, the label must be designed to meet the following requirements:
- The name and place of business of the producer, or of the person for whom the product was produced for resale, must be on the label. The address should be sufficient to ensure postal delivery.
- Except in the case of an ornamental container, the dealer identification must be located anywhere on the outside of the container, except on the bottom.
- The dealer identification must be given in either English or French.
- The dealer identification must be clearly legible, and printed in a font at least 1.6 mm (1/16") in height.
- If the product is wholly imported, the dealer identification must meet additional imported identification requirements.
Package design and fill
- The container for the product must be constructed, filled and displayed so that consumers are not misled about either the quality or quantity of the product.
Other non-mandatory label information
- No false or misleading information can be placed on the label. The product must conform with claims made on the label relating, for example, to type, quality, performance, function, origin, and method of manufacture. "Product of Canada" and "Made in Canada" claims are subject to specific assessment criteria.
Return to Table of contents
- Date modified: